Monday, January 31, 2011

Jersey Boys



Yesterday, I went to go see Jersey Boys with my family at the Colonial Theater. It was a fun family outing, I finally got the chance to dress up after a few months of glamour deprivation, and the experience reminded me of why I always liked the arts more than sports.

So what did I think of the play itself? For one, the music was excellent. I love the Four Seasons, and the musical version was truly just as good. The actors definitely pulled off the whole vibe, and the man who played Frankie Valli could hit those notes just as well as the real person. We bought the CD, and I've been listening to it on repeat ever since.

Moving on from the music, let's talk about the play itself. To be honest, I didn't think it had the most incredible plot I've ever heard of, and though I understand it's a true story, I somewhat feel like it could have been made a bit more interesting.

That being said, the narration was really interesting- the play was split into the four seasons, and each season was narrated by a different group member. You got everyone's perspective clearly, and it was fun to get inside everyone's head, hear how they think and where they come from.

Additionally, the dialogue was impeccable. The humor ranged from pop culture references to jokes about each person and different city, making sure to pull a laugh from people of all ages and backgrounds. At the same time, the honesty of each person's narration was compelling and candid, giving you a real sense of the emotions behind everything. Plus, the transitions between scenes, as well as from dialogue to a musical number, was perfectly executed and left no room for boredom.

So congratulations to the entire cast and crew of Jersey Boys, and I would recommend for everyone to go out and see it if you get the opportunity. It's 100% worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment